Wednesday, May 18, 2016

    
     I was telling someone the other day about how strength training has made everything easier.
     It makes the little things easier...like getting in and out of the car.  It also helps make the big things easier...like moving furniture. 
    But, I didn't realize the extent to which strength training and the accompanying aerobic activities I am doing, mostly rowing and walking, would increase my flexibility.
     Flexibility is something we all lose as we age.  But, I am learning that loss of flexibility is not necessarily an inevitability. 
      I believe my increased flexibility is due to the strengthening of my core.  The core, as I understand it, includes those muscles, tendons and ligaments that keep us upright.  It's all the strongest parts of our chests, waists and abdominal areas as well as our backs and butts.  
     With every new exercise I learn, I am reminded to tense my core muscles because they help provide a solid base for whatever my arms, shoulders, thighs and legs are doing.  And as I have learned to adopt this habit, I have found that there is an increased sense of power for whatever I am calling on my body to do.  Apparently, that includes bending and reaching...things we must do every day of our lives.
      I have really noticed the difference in my core strength and flexibility on the rowing machine.  The first few times I tried it, my daughter had to pull the rowing handle thingy back for me and hand it to me because I couldn't bend forward far enough to reach it.  In fact, I had some difficulty fastening the straps on my feet!  Now, in little more than a month of strength training and rowing, I don't need help.  In fact, I don't even think about it.  I've noticed the same thing happening at home as I bend over to pick a sock up off the floor or pick up something and put it on a shelf over my head.  Younger folks may not realize how life changing this can be!  Trust me, kids.  Your day is coming!
     It feels good to be flexible again.  I find myself wondering what I'm capable of now and anticipate what I might be able to do in the future.  My dream is to get back on a horse.  I'd love to ride again like I did when I was a girl.  I'd really love to learn cowboy dressage.  Is it possible at my age?  A month ago, I would have said no way.  Now, I don't know.  Maybe?
     Hey, a girl can dream can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment