Tuesday, April 12, 2016

This is me dead lifting 95 pounds.  My trainer at Cross Fit Run-A-Muck said I could have lifted 110, but I didn't want to be a show-off!

I had not really intended to try anything like this.  After all, I am going to the gym to improve my balance issues and increase my over-all strength and stamina...not to become a power lifter.

But, when I was presented with the challenge, I surprised myself and gave it a try.   I'm glad I did.

I have found that as I get older, the opportunities for challenging myself are fewer...especially physical challenges. But, we all NEED new challenges of all kinds.  Otherwise we end up limiting ourselves and begin to shrivel in our minds, bodies and spirits.

The neat thing about this particular exercise was the extent to which it challenged more than my muscles.  

Lifting is a delicate coordination of mind and body.  There is much more to it than just bending over and picking up something heavy.  There is lots of thinking involved and lots of concentration and focus...all of which we can lose to one extent or another as we age if we don't "exercise" them.

There are details to remember such as position of  the body in relation to the barbell, when to breathe, how to breathe, where to focus the eyes, correct position of feet and knees, what to relax, what to tense and so on.  Furthermore, all these details must fall together in the right order for the lift to be successful and injury free.    

It is this kind of focused attention combined with muscle movement that exercises the brain as well as the body.  And like learning any new skill, it grows new connections in the brain that help keep us mentally young.

But, there's one more aspect to this kind of exercise that I was surprised to discover; and that is what I would call "the courage factor."  

A big part of me was afraid of trying this.  I was afraid of failure.  I was afraid of looking silly or failing in front of other, younger folks in the gym and I was afraid of getting hurt. 

 Well, I quickly realized that the other folks in the gym are supportive and I have no reason to feel embarrassed.  Everyone struggles...just at different levels!  

As far as fear of failure is concerned, that's natural when we try something new.  I overcame it with the realization that I'd kick myself if I didn't at least try.  

And as far as getting hurt is concerned, I am utterly confident in my trainer who has a degree in Exercise Science and has trained many people over the years.  I quickly realized he wouldn't let me do anything that would hurt me.

So, I pulled up my big girl panties, gave it the ol' college try and picked up that sucker!  

Next time, I'm going for 110.






No comments:

Post a Comment